Construction & Inspection
Obtaining your building permit
A building permit must be obtained before commencing any construction. The application process will vary depending on the complexity of the project and whether or not all of the required information is provided at the time of application. It is always good practice to speak to someone in the building department before applying for a permit in order to ensure the applicant has all the correct information. While the process may seem daunting at first glance, we are here to help so if you have any questions at all don’t hesitate to ask.
Once a building permit has been issued, the various inspection stages will be noted on your building permit and may be explained to you at that time. To book an inspection, contact the building department at least 24 hours in advance.
Building permits are required for:
- New construction including residential, agricultural, commercial, industrial, and institutional
- Additions and renovations
- Demolition both interior and exterior
- Garages and sheds that are greater than 108 ft²
- Decks greater than 108 ft² or any size deck which acts as access to a building
- Prefabricated structures including coveralls for agricultural use, portable classrooms, precast buildings etc.
- Wood stoves
- Temporary Buildings (tents)
- Farm buildings including barns, sheds, silos, manure storage, grain bins etc.
- Change of use of a building or portion of a building for example changing from residential to commercial
- Solar panels
Other Items as Required by the Ontario Building Code
For more information, to ensure safety and compliance with the Ontario Building Code and to avoid future problems, please contact us at email@example.com or by phone at 613-443-3066 x2318.
Private Sewage System Permit Requests
Effective January 1, 2012, residents and property owners of the Township of Russell will work with South Nation Conservation on all matters relating to septic permits for new construction, renovations, and legal searches (such as the purchase and sale of proeprties serviced by private septic systems). Information and forms are available at the Township of Russell municipal office, by visiting the South Nation Conservation website at www.nation.on.ca, or by calling SNC at 1-877-984-2948.
To access the "Application for Permit to Construct or Demolish", please click here.
Thinking of building a deck, garage or renovating? Click here to find out more.
Thinking of building a new home? Click here to find out more.